What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to fix SSH script sensor error stated below during creation

Votes:

Hi, I have encountered the following error while trying to create the SSH script sensor: Failed to connect. Please check the SSH log of the target device or try the Compatibility Mode of the sensor's SSH engine and consider updating the target system's operating system. Reason: ssh_connect failed (-1)kex error : no match for method mac algo client->server: server [hmac-sha2-512,hmac-sha2-256], client [hmac-sha1,none] I have done some searching, it is due the hashing mechanism is not match between the PRTG and the targeted device. May I know how to fix this problem?

custom-sensor prtg18 ssh-script

Created on Feb 19, 2019 7:47:15 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

The error message already contains the available options :)

• Enable "SSH Compatibility Mode" (you can find it in "Settings" tab of the device, section "Credentials for Linux/Solaris/Mac OS (SSH/WBEM) Systems")
  • "consider updating the target system's operating system"

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 20, 2019 1:29:49 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard, Thanks for the reply. However, the setting of SSH Compatibility Mode will lead to another error, which I believe it is due to the fact that the target system is only allowed certain cypher suites. While updating the target system's operation system is not an option here in the context. Therefore, I would like to check whether there is a way to configure the PRTG sensor to use one of the mac algo in the server as shown in the message [hmac-sha2-512,hmac-sha2-256]?

Best Regards,

Mintao

Created on Feb 21, 2019 2:06:52 AM

Votes:

Hello Mintao,

See here for details which cipher suites the ssh sensors support. From PRTG's end it is not possible to customize those for the sensors, I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 21, 2019 6:44:45 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.