What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification limits spam avoidance

Votes:

So I have a sensor for a device. I set it so it notifies me when it goes down and when it goes back up. This is great, only one problem.

I have a device that kept going for for about 180seconds so I got spammed to hell with about 30 emails in one morning when this happened. I see the down notifications only send one or two a day however the up notifications just keep on spamming.

So I'm I'm wondering if there is anyway to pause notifying of device back online emails after it sends one email for a certain time?

email notifications prtg

Created on Feb 23, 2019 10:40:13 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Richie,

You should only be receiving the up notification for every down notification.

It should always be a 1:1. Meaning if it goes down, you will get the up when it comes back up. Then you would get another down before another up.

But you are saying you got a single down, then multiple up messages for the same sensor?

Can you clarify for me?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Feb 25, 2019 11:24:02 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I had it set to send first down and up message.

However I would get one down notification then like 10 up notifications as the device was playing up a bit.

I would like to have just first down notification one per day which I get I think with repeat only after 12 hours or so. But also one up notification if it comes back up at least once but no more than once per day.

Created on Feb 25, 2019 11:27:58 PM

Votes:

Richie,

That behavior is not at all what should be happening. The duplicated Up messages shouldn't be coming in without a preceding down message. Can you check the link at the bottom of those Up messages where you can see the trigger that sends said email, and make sure it's the same as the one that sends the first Up message?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Feb 26, 2019 11:31:02 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.