What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Replace certificate: unvalid chain

Votes:

Hello,

I want to replace the self signed certificate with a official signed certificated. I use the prtgcertimporter and this tutorial: https://www.paessler.com/support/how-to/ssl-certificate

Unfortunately the importer always says: no valid chain found.

I have one file prtg.key, with windows line breaks (pem). The key is not encrypted.

-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----

-----END PRIVATE KEY-----

I have one file prtg.crt, with windows line breaks (pem).

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

I have one file root.pem, with windows line breaks (pem).

.... (SubCA)

.... (PolicyCA)

.... (RootCA)

I starting the certimporter and choose the directory with the three files.

Reason(s):--> Certificate for SUBCA signed by <Issuer> is not for server authentication --> Certificate for prtg.mydomain.de signed by <Issuer> - usable for server authentication the certificate chain is invalid the directory contains no valid certificates.

Whats wrong?

certificate certificate-importer prtg

Created on Feb 28, 2019 8:21:45 AM

Last change on Feb 28, 2023 10:47:56 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi Christian,

For further assistance, please send us an email to [email protected] with screenshots from the certificate's "Details" and "Certificate Chain" tabs when double clicking on it.

Thank you & kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 28, 2019 1:00:28 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard,

I sent the information to the support on 01.03.2019. Did you received them?

Created on Mar 11, 2019 3:22:50 PM

Votes:

Hello Christian,

Not that I recall, I've looked now for emails from the address you have used to register in the knowledgebase, but there were no recent emails from your email address. Please send again and mention this thread in particular in the subject or body of the email.

Thank you,

Erhard

Created on Mar 11, 2019 3:48:50 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard,

I sent it again.

Created on Mar 11, 2019 3:52:11 PM

Votes:

Got it now, thanks.

Created on Mar 11, 2019 4:10:27 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Solution: You need to import the root certificate in the windows certificate store (trusted root certification authorities), if the root ca is a member of a private pki.

Created on Mar 12, 2019 1:31:27 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.