What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Windows Physical Disk I/O Channels

Votes:

Hi There, I'm a bit confused about some channels in " wmi windows physical Disk I/O" what's exactly the value that these sensors demonstrate? Current Queue : like if it shows #15 , it means that i have 15 files in a queue to be read? so i could find out that it might caused me slow connection on my application which has been run on this server

---------------------------- some of my colleagues are claiming about the slow connection they've on their outlook , Im about to tshoot this issue and some symptoms have lead me to disk problem issues. but im not sure which channels should i be more sensitive to monitor on?

regards

disk wmi

Created on Mar 4, 2019 8:51:49 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Elahe90,

I think I've found the article that will explain it all to you.

Windows Performance Monitor Disk Counters Explained

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Mar 6, 2019 8:11:44 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Elahe90,

WMI is nothing else then a Windows API that can be fed by Windows integrated applications as well as third party applications. E.g. Anti-Virus vendors often have their own WMI tables.

I think what you use is this: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/wmi_logical_disk_io_sensor

What Paessler/PRTG might query in the background I do not know, but the following links will point you in the right direction since those are just basic Windows information that are collected by PRTG from remote systems per WMI.

You possibly could engage Ressource Monitoring on your target systems as well to see more about this - cause you mentioned some other things, I would even go to the SysInternals tools and see if there are some that help you...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/handle

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Mar 4, 2019 3:41:17 PM

Votes:

Hi Florian Rossmark , Thanks for your answer and the information that you have shared , but I think I need to elaborate more on my problem. as I said I'm using the " Windows Physical Disk I/O Beta" sensor to monitor Disks on my server. what I want is an explanation about some channels that this sensor gives me. For E.g : Current Queue channel or Split IOs. I'm not sure if I have a right understanding about the value that it gives me.

Best regards

Created on Mar 5, 2019 6:07:31 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Elahe90,

I think I've found the article that will explain it all to you.

Windows Performance Monitor Disk Counters Explained

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Mar 6, 2019 8:11:44 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.