What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

UP notifications for acknowledged alarms

Votes:

Hello,

When we acknowledge an alarm for a sensor, when that sensor goes UP again we don't receive a notification for it. Is there a way to work around that? We need our maintenance team to be notified of unexpected "back to normal" situations.

If there's no way around it, then I have a second question:

Currently we use acknowledged alarms as a mean to:

1. Add a note to the alarm with an internal reference for future investigation.
  2. A way to separate treated alarms from the untreated ones in the PRTG interface.

Is there another way in PRTG to achieve that?

Thanks in advance.

acknowledge notes prtg

Created on Mar 8, 2019 7:58:40 AM

Last change on Mar 8, 2019 8:13:15 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello Phillippe,

Did the sensor trigger a notification when it went down? Is the notification trigger configured to send a notification as well when it leaves down state ("When sensor leaves Down state after a notification was triggered, perform......")?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 8, 2019 2:05:25 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Yes it did send a notification when it went down. Then we acknowledged it "Forever" with a note containing the ticket number of our internal CRM. When it went up again we didn't receive any notifications.

Kind regards, Philippe

Created on Mar 12, 2019 7:26:37 AM

Votes:

Oh I forgot: yes the notification trigger is configured to send a notification when it leaves the down state.

Without the acknowledging, we receive DOWN and UP notifications.

If you want I can share the relevant parts of the config with you.

Created on Mar 12, 2019 7:27:47 AM

Votes:

Hello Philippe,

For further investigation screenshots from the regarding sensor's "Notification Triggers" would be of interest and screenshots from the settings of the notification template it triggers. You can send them as well to [email protected] and mention this thread in your email, so it will be assigned to me to further work on it.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 12, 2019 7:46:31 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

> Did the sensor trigger a notification when it went down?

This made me think, and after some tests I know understand what happened:

We have a long delay before the DOWN notification to avoid false positives (30+ minutes). What happened is that one member of our support team was on PRTG when he saw a new alert. He treated it immediatly and acknowledged it, and thus the DOWN notification was never sent. Thus the UP notification was not sent either.

PRTG only sends an UP notification if it sent a DOWN notification, by acknowledging the alarm "too quickly" we prevented the UP notification.

So the question becomes: is there a way around this? If it's not possible I'll just set a policy that you have to receive the DOWN notification before acknowledging the alarm.

Created on Mar 12, 2019 8:20:43 AM

Votes:

Hello Phillipe,

Nice find, your analysis is absolutely correct :)

There is indeed no way around this particular scenario, I'm afraid. The trigger acts on the state of the sensor and "Down (Acknowledged)" is a different one than "Down", so the trigger will not act on it. So instating such a policy you mentioned is the best option.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 13, 2019 9:56:00 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Alright, you can close this issue then. Thanks for the insights.

Created on Mar 13, 2019 10:01:42 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.