What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Top 10: Slowest Pings

Votes:

Is it possible to set or change the ping ms value used for the above top 10 object?

If not is there a better object to use to report on high ping times, or would I need to create a custom object?

ping prtg top10

Created on Mar 12, 2019 3:47:52 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Could you further specify what you want to change and from what to what? :)

Best regards.

Created on Mar 13, 2019 11:26:27 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

From what, I'm not sure.

I'm assuming the Top 10: Slowest Pings object goes through each item in the selected group and displays the 10 items with the slowest ping times.

Is it possible to make this object, or a custom object, that only alerts if an a ping is over a pre-defined value, say 70ms?

Thanks,

Created on Mar 13, 2019 1:20:02 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

That would not be a list of top 10 slowest, that would be a list of all ping sensors that are slower than 70 ms.

So unfortunately, there is no option to specifically display this within a map.

Best regards.

Created on Mar 13, 2019 1:24:23 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So as per my original question, is there a way to show the top "X" number of devices, with a ping over a pre-defined value?

Created on Mar 15, 2019 11:50:38 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

The device is always displayed - along with last value and sensor name. So you already get a list of devices. Or am I missing something here?

Best regards.

Created on Mar 15, 2019 12:44:14 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I think you are missing something, I will try to explain it a bit clear.

We have for example 150 sensors that we want to monitor for high ping / response times. At present it just seems to list the top 10 it finds that are slowest, regardless of the ms value.

What I want to do is monitor that same group of 150 but want it to only show the device as having a "slow ping" if the MS response is say, over 70.

Created on Mar 15, 2019 12:46:32 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Now I get it. You want to get all devices/sensors within that group and show only those where the last value is above 70 ms. :)

Unfortunately, that is not possible via the default map object. But you can check the object on the Core Server under "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\mapobjects\". The object is called "Top10 Ping Slowest.htm".

Best regards.

Created on Mar 15, 2019 12:53:32 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yeah that's the object I am using, I was wondering if it was possible to either create a custom object and set the 70ms threshold or set it elsewhere for the monitoring group the devices are part of.

Created on Mar 15, 2019 1:04:10 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

You will need to customize the object by yourself most likely. Or another user maybe posts a solution, but we can't assist you with customizing PRTG as stated here:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/78334-what-is-your-position-towards-customizing-prtg

Best regards.

Created on Mar 15, 2019 7:52:59 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 10, 2022 2:31:25 PM by  Florian Weik (1,927) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.