What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Syslog Sensor Message Queries Failing

Votes:

We are using a syslog sensor in PRTG, retaining 6 months worth of syslogs, and basically logging EVERYTHING that crosses our network. Huge amount of log files.

Up until yesterday, I could run a query against the messages, going back months, with several filters...no problem. Query might take 5-10 minutes, but it would run.

Upgraded PRTG yesterdya, now on version 19.1.48.2929.

Now queries timeout after 1 minute, just says : "Processing Timeout . Sorry, processing your request took too long."

Where is the timeout of 1 minute coming from? Why did that change with an upgrade? I don't care how long the request takes, finish please....

prtg sensor syslog

Created on Mar 12, 2019 11:46:16 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Rsnaric,

Let me check with my devs about this.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Mar 13, 2019 10:28:18 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Rsnaric,

Here is the response I got from my developers.

We did some bugfixes and improvements in this area to prevent hanging requests.

There is a registry value that can adjust the timeout: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Probe

UDPMessageLimitTime

This has a default of 60s.

The "UDPMessageLimitCount" is the number of queries that are allowed to run at the same time with a default of 3

Please feel free to adjust these registry keys. Once you make a change, please restart the PRTG Probe Service for the new setting to take effect. Let me know if these help you.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Mar 21, 2019 7:38:26 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

That did the trick!

Thank you very much!

rick

Created on Mar 21, 2019 8:25:32 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.