What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Placeholder values reference?

Votes:

I am working on sending some custom notification emails via a Powershell script. During this process I ran into some problems as I could not easily identify what the Placeholder values would be when they were passed from the Notification trigger to my Notification template to run the script.

For example I did some mock ups of my script on a Windows Audio Service sensor which I could stop and start so the state sensor on the down event would kick off the script. When doing this the Placeholder value of %host was the name of my server. However when I moved this over to a Cisco router on a Ping sensor the %host Placeholder value changed to the IP Address of the device and was not the name of the Device.

So here is my question: Is there an easier way to verify what value will come across when using Placeholders from the PRTG console? If not are you able to integrate this into PRTG in a future release?

Thanks in advance!

notifications placeholders powershell prtg

Created on Mar 14, 2019 7:44:26 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

You could run an export of all devices to xml to verify what's configured on each of them. When logged in to the webinterface, use this url: https://your.prtg.server/api/table.xml?content=devices&output=xml&columns=objid,probe,group,device,host,baselink&count=* This will result in an xml that you can open in Excel directly with an overview of all devices, their names and what's confiured as "host".

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 18, 2019 8:54:29 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 19, 2019 6:56:24 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Check what you have configured in field "IPv4 Address/DNS Name" on "Settings" tab of the regarding devices, this should be what placeholder "%host" pulls.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 15, 2019 3:31:26 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard,

Yes I am familiar with https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/373-what-placeholders-can-i-use-with-prtg. I guess I will take that as a "No there is not an easier way to find the values." I was looking more for a comprehensive list on one specific place within the PRTG device that had the static values like %host, %device, %deviceid, %group, %groupid, ect...

Thanks for the response!

Created on Mar 15, 2019 5:28:27 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

You could run an export of all devices to xml to verify what's configured on each of them. When logged in to the webinterface, use this url: https://your.prtg.server/api/table.xml?content=devices&output=xml&columns=objid,probe,group,device,host,baselink&count=* This will result in an xml that you can open in Excel directly with an overview of all devices, their names and what's confiured as "host".

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 18, 2019 8:54:29 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 19, 2019 6:56:24 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Erhard,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Regards, Chase

Created on Mar 18, 2019 10:05:48 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.