What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG and isolated devices.

Votes:

Hello!

We have several devices which isolated from any local network (on this devices closed any inbound connections) but has internet access (has only outbound connections). Task is to monitoring this kind of devices (CPU, Memory and other). What is the best way to do it with PRTG? As far as i remember PRTG hasn't any local agents which can be connected to PRTG Core Server independantly. What usually using in this situations?

Thank you!

internet prtg sensors

Created on Mar 19, 2019 6:45:03 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Vasiliy,

In this case, you would want to install a Remote Probe on these machines to have them connect back to your PRTG Core Server from the Internet.

Install a Remote Probe

Follow the above link, and let me know if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Mar 19, 2019 10:19:15 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hello Benjamin, what is the technical (or practical) limitation for Probe Quantity for one PRTG installation? So we have a lot of devices where we want to install Remote Probes, but i'm afraid for system stability.

Created on Mar 20, 2019 10:01:17 AM

Votes:

Vasiliy,

PRTG can handle a large amount of remote probes. However, if it begins to go over 50, keep an eye on your Core Health sensor.

We have means of adding a load-balancer before PRTG to handle the SSL tasks, as these are the most taxing for the PRTG Core Server.

Let me know your thoughts, and if you have an estimated number of devices.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Mar 21, 2019 7:40:53 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

The topic of load balancer with SSL offload would interest me. would this also help for web UI? To make the PRTG Core Server only accessible over these devices and talk https in front from Client to Loadbalancer and offload the tls there and let the Loadbalancer talk simple HTTP to the Core?

I would be really interested in performance difference Since we have F5 BIGIPs in place this would a rather an easy task

Greetings Michele

Created on Apr 1, 2019 6:28:00 PM

Votes:

Yes, exactly. The SSL for basic user interactions isn't too taxing on the core. However, when you add 10-20 or more probes, that will add a considerable load.

Reverse Proxy for PRTG

On the above site we talk about how to make this work for Apache, NginX, and IIS. But you should be able to apply the same concepts to F5.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Apr 2, 2019 5:01:24 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.