What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Reoccuring issues and reopening tickets

Votes:

I have setup a Notification template to Assign a ticket to my PRTG Admins. The Sensor is configured to run the Notification Template when the sensor state is Down for 60 seconds. When the Sensor enters the down state, a ticket is successfully create and assigned to PRTG admins. However, if an assigned admin resolves the issue, closes the ticket, and the Sensor goes into the OK state. If the sensor goes back Down, No new ticket is created, nor is the already created (and Closed) ticket reopend.

This is a problem, because admins will get a notification of a down event, however when they see no created ticket, the admins think the issue is resolved. No one looks further into the down state. This is a problem. How do I configure ticket to reopen when the problem reoccurs?

Here are screenshots of my configurations.

1. https://imgur.com/FXPz2J9 - Ticket History
  2. https://imgur.com/lnu7CTA - Notification Template
  3. https://imgur.com/1xiDBoV - Sensor Notification trigger config

notifications reoccuring tickets

Created on Mar 29, 2019 7:11:08 PM

Last change on Apr 1, 2019 9:41:30 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello benton932,

Thank you very much for your contact.

Please check whether this behavior is still occurring in the default, pre-defined notification "Ticket Notification" (id=302).

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Apr 1, 2019 11:10:41 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sebastian, thank you for answering this ticket.

Currently the issue has been resolved after restarting the Core Server service. Nothing else was modified.

I also tested the following (after I restarted the Core Server service):

1. I set the Sensor notification trigger to the pre-defined Ticket Notification. - I put my sensor in a Down state, the caused a ticket to be automatically created - I then manually resolved the ticket, before putting the Sensor back in the Up state. - I then put the sensor in the Up state again - After waiting a while, I then put the sensor back in the Down State, A new ticket was created as expected.

2. I then set the Sensor notification trigger to my Custom Defined notification (RunProg1) - I put the sensor in the Down state, a ticket was created automatically as expect. - I manually resolved the ticket, before putting the sensor back in the Up State. - I put the sensor back in the Up state. - I waited a while, but the sensor back in the down state, a new ticket was created. - I then put the sensor back into the Up state, and the ticket that was opened for this Down sensor state, was automatically closed, as expected.

So everything is working now. It seems that I need to remember to restart the Core Server service if something is not working before seeking assistance.

However, thank you for your fast response..

Cheers -b

Created on Apr 1, 2019 2:33:15 PM

Votes:

Hi benton,

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed response.

I'm glad to read that it is working now as expected, whatever the reason might be in that case :)

If you encounter further issues with PRTG, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Apr 2, 2019 5:03:56 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.