What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP test traps recieved by PRTG, but no trap messages recorded

Votes:

Setting up PRTG from scratch and have most everything working, but trying to set up SNMP trap collection on PRTG. Installed the SNMP Trap Receiver on the probe device, no modifications to it at all (using default settings). Using snmptrapgen to send the trap to the PRTG system (same subnet - starting small) and I see the traps coming into the OS where PRTG is installed (windows 10) . Using SNMP v2c, trap comes in that way with a valid OID. The sensor sees teh messages (i see it in the live data as the counts are non-zero for the time intervals I send test traps) and I can see them come in via Wireshark on the PRTG box. So why are there no messages?? The filter is set to "any" (the default) so I assume I would have processed it. Nothing in the logs tab to give me any clues.

Thanks!

messages prtg snmp-trap

Created on Mar 29, 2019 8:48:03 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

I'm not sure what you mean by "no messages". Could you please clarify this and/or provide us with a screenshot?

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 2, 2019 4:03:14 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

After i wrote the ticket, it looks like I just didn't wait long enough ...

What I meant was "no messages" is that if you go to the probe in teh overview tab, scroll down the the section marked "Trap messages" (or, at the top of the probe select "Messages") no messages were being displayed. i waited almost an hour before I wrote the ticket, but I just looked and I can now see the test messages from last week when I tried them. I just sent a few more so i will have to see how long it takes for them to show up in the messages tab or under "Trap Messages". I tried to "refresh" the data by hitting the "scan now" button, but that seems to only update the graphs.

Created on Apr 2, 2019 4:41:28 PM

Votes:

Hello Shawn,

It shouldn't take that long to show received trap messages. Please let us know about the results of your tests.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 8, 2019 8:08:51 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.