What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

QoS (Quality of Service) Round Trip Sensor

Votes:

Hello!

We plan to use QoS Round Trip Sensor to make a measure of internet channels quality between our offices. Every remote office and our main office has it's own Probe. But when we creating this sensor it does't work (Timeout, No packets recieved, 50000 port is in use), whatever what settings we change. So i think i don't understand how it work. So, just to be shure:

1) On what device must we create QoS sensor? Only on Local or Remote Probes or it this sensor i can create on any device in device tree? 2) If we want to meauser quality from both sides, must we create QoS sensor Round Trip on both Probes or one must be QoS Round Trip and other QoS One Way?

prtg qos qos-roundtrip

Created on Apr 1, 2019 9:23:34 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Vasiliy,

Thank you for your post.

I will be happy to answer your questions:

1. In general, you can add the Sensor to any device in the device tree. However, I recommend to add the Sensor directly to the Probe device.
  2. The QoS (Quality of Service) Round Trip Sensor works by sending a series of UDP packets from the source probe to a target at the 'end' of the connection line. Then, the packets are sent back to the original probe. Therefore, you only have to add one Sensor.

With regard to your error, please make sure that no firewall in between blocks the traffic from this Sensor.

For more detailed information, please follow these links:

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on Apr 1, 2019 12:58:28 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 28, 2019 9:10:45 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok! But if i create several QoS Round Trip sensors (by one on every Remote Probe) and for all of them i set one remote point - Local Probe on Core Server no any problem will be with this scheme? Will all sensors work correctly?

Created on Apr 1, 2019 1:31:33 PM

Votes:

Hi Vasiliy,

This scheme has no issues. Please note, however, that each QoS Round Trip sensor needs its own Port if all have the Local Probe as target, as it causes issues when multiple requests try to connect to the same port.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on Apr 1, 2019 2:18:49 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there any limitations for Scanning Interval? As i see in sensor Setting it sending 1000 packets per interval, can i set 60 second interval, or i need something more rare? 10 min, for example?

Created on Apr 3, 2019 4:31:49 PM

Votes:

Hi Vasiliy,

There are no limitations for the scanning interval of this Sensor. All limitations or special requirements are listed below the point "Remarks" in the corresponding manual
However, we recommend to use the default value to prevent any issues.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on Apr 4, 2019 7:25:31 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.