What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DNS Query results

Votes:

Hello,

Is there a way to display the DNS name of a probe, instead of the IP address? Also, is there a way to do a wildcard search for that? to combat the akamai and Google VIP's?

I tried :

1. 1017:Akamai Destinations (DestinationIP[*akamai*] OR SourceIP[*akamai*])

but does not seem to work.

dns dns-query dns-resolution

Created on Apr 1, 2019 8:57:46 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid that it's not able to change the displaying name on maps to the DNS name, nor is it possible to to use Wildcards ind the filter settings of flow sensors or packet sniffer sensors, sorry.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 2, 2019 10:47:58 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 9:23:41 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

Appreciate your prompt response and awesome support!

That being said...

Sad panda.

I came across this article :

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/toplists

Reverse DNS

Define if you want to do a reverse Domain Name Service (DNS) lookup for IP addresses stored in the Toplist. Choose between: ◾Reverse DNS lookup for IPs: Determine the domain name associated with an IP address and show it in the Toplist. ◾No reverse DNS lookup (faster): Show IP addresses only. Choose this option to increase performance.

From how I read it, it looks like you can change the IP address to the DNS name (and show it in the Toplist).

Also, not sure if this translates over... but can there be a wildcard? Anything talking to *Pandora*, it looks like it is possible, but the instructions that we followed do not seem to work properly.

Here is the link and the relevant information associated with it: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/xflow_packet_sniffer_filter_rules

Valid Fields for All Sensors

Field Possible Filter Values

IP IP address or DNS name (see Valid Data Formats)

Created on Apr 2, 2019 3:26:51 PM

Votes:

The flow sensor do reverse DNS lookups. Wild cards in the filter rules only apply to IP addresses and not to DNS names, sorry.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 3, 2019 6:07:17 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 9:24:00 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.