What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Changing the IP address of a device

Votes:

In our Internet delivery environment, the switches and routers used to be managed from the outside. Awhile back (before me), management was switched to a separate internal networks. No one updated the IP address entries on the associated devices in PRTG.

I tried to do one (empty switch) and the Ping sensor failed. My assumption is it is associated with the IP address of the device since there is no input field in the Ping sensor to enter an IP address.

All the other sensors are 'dependent' on the Ping sensor.

How do I change the IP address on a device.

If I have to delete the Ping sensor as part of the process what happens to the relationship / dependency.

device ip-address prtg

Created on Apr 4, 2019 6:10:08 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

To change the IP or FQDN, simply head to the device and click on the "Settings"-tab. There you can change the address in the "Connection Address"-field.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 4, 2019 6:33:06 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I might be on an older version.

Device Right click on ES-01101-02 (fortunately it's an empty switch) Edit Settings There are two entries that had the old IP address - 65.111.240.9 IPv4 address/DNS Name - 65.111.240.9 Service URL - http://65.111.240.9

I adjusted both to the correct internal management IP address - 10.100.3.25.

The Ping sensor failed and everything else was paused because of it's dependency on the Ping sensor

I deleted the existing Ping sensor and added a new one.

All sensors are now red - Ping, two interfaces, and the System Health sensors.

Short of deleting the device, adding it back with the correct management IP address. and I assume losing all history associated with the sensors, what is my best option.

Created on Apr 4, 2019 6:50:34 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

This behavior is the same since PRTG 6, so pretty long. :)

When you changed the IP and the Ping Sensor is not working, then it sounds more like a network issue. Are you able to ping "10.100.3.25" manually from a commandline on the PRTG Server?

Best regards.

Created on Apr 4, 2019 6:58:52 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 4, 2019 6:58:56 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This just got very silly.

The PRTG server is 10.100.1.27. The PRTG server can not ping 10.100.3.25. But I recently added a new device - 10.100.3.51 - and it works.

I switched the ES-01101-02 entry back to 65.111.240.9 and of course it works.

I added ES-01101-02b with the IP address 10.100.3.25 and it fails.

The PRTG server cannot ping any of the 10.100.3.0/24 or 10.100.7.0/24 IP addresses of the devices currently using a 65.111.240.0/27 IP address in PRTG.

I'll keep researching. I did run into a recent issue where some layer 2 vlan filter stepped on something new. I don't think those are affecting this since PRTG can ping entirely new devices with the correct management IP address on the 10.100.3.0/24 and the 10.100.7.0/24 networks.

My imagination is running wild now - since the PRTG server is on one network and the devices are on a different network (going thru a layer 3 switch with only connected routing and only one static pointing to gateway of last resort), am I running into a MAC or ARP issue.

If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Unfortunately for me, I believe the ball is in my court.

Created on Apr 4, 2019 7:43:22 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Would be worth a try to reach the device from another device within the same subnet. To exclude any Firewall, Layer 3 or VLAN issues.

best regards.

Created on Apr 4, 2019 7:47:34 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.