What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Master Object is "Paused by Dependency"

Votes:

I've set Ping as the "Master Object for Parent" on a device in PRTG. When Ping goes into a "Down" state, it rightfully causes the rest of the sibling sensors to go into a "Paused" state.

However, the Ping sensor itself *also* goes into a "Paused" state, thus preventing it from coming back up and waking its siblings up as well. The logs show that it's "Paused by Parent"

Why is this happening? Is there some configuration I'm missing here? This only seems to happen in one Group, and not another, but I don't see any differences between the two groups in the settings.

dependency paused-by-dependencies ping prtg

Created on Apr 10, 2019 5:10:46 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

It's a bug, it has been fixed in the latest 19.x.49 releases, please update PRTG.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Apr 11, 2019 6:10:36 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 11, 2019 6:10:49 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

dear PRTG team, I am running version 19.2.50.2842 I see the same behavior for 'some' groups created recently, while it's working fine in some older groups. Just tested a 'simulate' in different groups...(fine in a group that i created long ago..but in a new group..created under a more recent version... they all stay in paused, after i resume the PING from the device they depend on)

Created on Aug 7, 2019 9:01:02 AM

Votes:

Hello Jurgen,

In 19.x.50 there is still a bug when the "dependency sensor" is located on a different device, this is being fixed in 19.x.51 update. 19.x.51 was already out, but meanwhile has been pulled due to some issues, it will be re-released later this month.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 7, 2019 9:13:20 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.