What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notifications - Templates - Object duplication

Votes:

Hello,

I was modifying my notifications templates directly from my group configuration interfaces.

Each time I change a notification template settings by clicking on the template name to "edit notification template settings", when I save changes, it creates an other object in notification templates.

Which means it's not applying modifications to the other triggers using the same original template.

Am I the only one with this problem ?

notification-templates notifications object-duplication

Created on Apr 16, 2019 7:51:47 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Could you further describe, preferable step by step, what the actual issue is? Right now it is a bit confusing as it is unclear where you have done what and when the issue appears.

Thanks in advance!
Best regards.

Created on Apr 16, 2019 11:46:54 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

1. On my PRTG server, I go to SETUP > NOTIFICATION TEMPLATES.

2. I add a notification template, configure and save it.

3. I go to DEVICE > Racine > NOTIFICATION TRIGGERS

4. I configure my different triggers.

5. Configuring my triggers, sometimes, I may edit my notification templates by clicking on it directly.

6. I save changes done for the template. ________________________________

I am encountering the problem at the step #6. I am able to change templates settings and, technically, it works.

The problem is that the notification template is not really updates at step #6. Instead, the save action create a second object (notification template) which I can see in SETUP > NOTIFICATION TEMPLATES. There is 2 duplicated templates with the same name and differetn parameters. So, every other triggers are not updated because these are using the initial template, and not the created one at step #6.

Created on Apr 16, 2019 12:59:30 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce this issue. What version of PRTG do you use? Do you only change the options and not the name of the template?

Best regards.

Created on Apr 16, 2019 1:07:21 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, my bad, I wasn't enough precise in my steps.

In fact the problem happens because I delete / recreate an user group linked to my Active Directory. That happens a lot as I can't force sync with AD when I modify group members.

Steps are the followings :

1. On my PRTG server, I go to SETUP > NOTIFICATION TEMPLATES.

2. I add a notification template, configure and save it.

3. I go to DEVICE > Racine > NOTIFICATION TRIGGERS

4. I configure my different triggers.

5. I update AD member (on my Active Directory server)

6. I delete user group linked to AD from PRTG server (because I can't use AD synchronization) Here, my notification template (template #1) for this group is automatically modified (not deleted) because the group does not exist anymore.

7. I create user group linked to AD on the PRTG server. Which is basically the same group I just deleted. Here, a new default Notification Template is automatically created (template #2)

8. (and here, the problem is me) After few hours, users (of the AD group) told me they are not receiving any mail. So I went to the concerned device group > NOTIFICATION TRIGGERS. I saw that the performed notification template didn't included any user group to send mails ... because it was still template #1. So, I swapped to template #2. And all other triggers using template #1 wasn't modified.

I believe I just have to delete the automatically new created notification template (template #2). And just modify template #1 everytime I delete/create AD group. So every notification triggers will be updated.

However, I can't wait to see the future AD group synchronization feature to avoid this manipulation :)

Created on Apr 16, 2019 2:07:07 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Regarding:

I believe I just have to delete the automatically new created notification template (template #2). And just modify template #1 everytime I delete/create AD group. So every notification triggers will be updated.

That is correct. Please note that group memberships are updates as soon as a user logs in. So there is no need to constantly delete and re-add groups. When you change the group membership in your AD and the user logs in, then the changed groups will be used in PRTG as well.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 16, 2019 2:14:21 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Indeed, domain integration is working but only for 1 domain. Is there a solution to configure multiple domains ?

Because we currently have users in 5 Active Directory domains. I've setted up my main domain configured SETUP>CORE&PROBES>DOMAIN. But users in other domains can't log in.

I saw some old subjects from 2013 about that but there wasn't any solution :(

Regards,

Created on Apr 17, 2019 8:49:09 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, PRTG currently only supports single domain linkage. We might change that in the future, but this still requires a lot of changes in the underlying Core of PRTG.

best regards.

Created on Apr 17, 2019 9:20:30 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.