What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Background for channel label

Votes:

I'm creating a network diagram map using the PRTG maps. Basically I've got my core switch with a connector to a total traffic channel sensor with a connector to the actual switch. That way I can see the amount of traffic going over the lines from the core to the access/distribution layer switches. 85% of the map looks pretty good. However, there are quite a lot of connection lines that run "over" the text label of the traffic channel sensor, making it a bit hard too read. Is there some way to make the label not "transparent" but to have a solid background color? I've tried using "HTML before" and a span background color but it did not work. PRTG just seemed to completely ignore the background color (at least in chrome).

background connection network-maps

Created on Apr 18, 2019 2:30:17 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

KTimm,

Have you tried putting your code into the HTML After? Something else you might consider is using the Custom HTML map object to create your own labels that you can put anywhere you want on the map.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Apr 19, 2019 9:26:15 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I'm not putting the label into the HTML before (or after). It is the "built in" label for the channel.

Created on Apr 22, 2019 4:51:56 PM

Votes:

Or perhaps just being able to move the connection point of the line from the "middle" to some other point within the sensor might help. I'm trying to avoid having the connection lines run right through the text of sensors but I'm not having much luck avoiding it in our larger institutions.

Created on Apr 22, 2019 7:50:26 PM

Votes:

KTimm,

Yes, I understand what you are saying. For this, you would be best to create your own label for the object to place in the spot that makes the best sense.

Unfortunately the CSS for PRTG is overriding the code you're trying to put into the HTML Before and After.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Apr 23, 2019 7:58:57 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Again, I can't just create my own label. It is the label that is part of the sensor that is ending up with the connector line running through it.

Created on Apr 23, 2019 11:28:57 AM

Votes:

As a work around, I put a shape "Box (White with black border)" behind the channel sensor. It is a work around because no longer does the connector line run through the text of the channel sensor label. The only real problem is that if I have to rearrange the map because I added something new, I have to move the channel sensor and then move the box because, despite the request being put in back in 2013, you still can't group move items.

Created on Apr 23, 2019 4:04:10 PM

Votes:

KTimm,

I'm glad to hear you came up with a workaround. Yes, there a some updates to the map editor that have been in development for a while now. We are working on many updates to PRTG, and trying to add the ones that increase overall performance and stability first.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Apr 24, 2019 6:13:00 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.