What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Qns on monitoring Remote Site

Votes:

deploy remote probe to monitor is best or monitor internal IP via IPSec tunnel is best?

ipsec-tunnel-monitoring prtg remote-probe

Created on Apr 23, 2019 12:21:02 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear derdekeasim,

to avoid having to build countless VPN tunnels to the target devices, we recommend the use of remote probes when monitoring distributed networks.

In the local network itself, the monitoring is taken over by the Local Probe (which runs on the core server). Remote probes can also be used here, but here more with the background of load balancing.

Best regards,
Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Created on Apr 24, 2019 6:17:46 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Regards to the remote probe, I need to have a PC or server for me to install the remote probe, If I do not have any of that, then remote probe is not a solution for my issue, correct?

Created on Apr 26, 2019 7:33:20 AM

Votes:

Dear derdekeasim,

This is partly correct. If your target device is a Windows server or client, you can also install the Remote Probe directly on the target device. The advantage of this is that the scans would all take place locally and the communication with the core server would still take place over one port (TCP 23560) instead of several (for HTTP, ICMP, SNMP, WMI, etc).

However, this is only worthwhile if the target device is to be monitored excessively and is located in a "remote" network.

Best regards,
Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Created on Apr 26, 2019 9:09:03 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.