What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I want to monitor a device through two wan

Votes:

I want to monitor a device through two wan, when a wan falls, it continues to be monitored through the other wan

prtg prtg-network-monitor prtg17

Created on Apr 25, 2019 8:26:20 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Isn't this just a routing issue with either a routing protocol in place in a meshed network or manually set metrics or some other automation to adjust the TCP/IP traffic to flow and fall over to a secondary connection?

Regards

Florian Rossmark

Created on Apr 26, 2019 1:57:31 PM

Votes:

Hi Carlos,

Thank you very much for your contact.
I agree on Florian's assumption. With native PRTG features there is no trigger that changes the request method to either one of the requested.
This is something that has to be set-up on higher level.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Apr 29, 2019 5:29:17 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I believe that the tool should be able to monitor a device with multiple wan, we are in the era of redundant links. We are in the times where a device balances charge, what I do not want is to have to add the same device 3 times if it has 3 wan.

Regards

Created on May 30, 2019 2:41:44 PM

Votes:

Hello Carlos,

At present there is no satisfactory answer that I can provide you with. PRTG is not designed to act like that and deploying the devices multiple times is probably the most promising approach in case you are not able to set it up on infrastructure level.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jun 3, 2019 5:14:08 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.