What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring of IBM SAN switch error details

Votes:

Due to some problems in our SAN infrastructure we are now searching for a possibilitie to monitor SAN Error counts/ details.

On our SAN switches we have a Error detail tab where all error messages are splitted up in categories like Loss of Signal, Protocol Error, ...

Is there any possibility to monitor these counters with PRTG?

Thanks in advance.

ibm prtg san

Created on Apr 29, 2019 9:09:18 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Lukas,

I removed the screenshot, so that it's not public. If you monitor those switches with SNMP Traffic Sensors, it should be possible to monitor the errors on the ports with the Additional Channels in the Settings of those Traffic Sensors. Can you check that out please and enable those?

best regards.

Created on Apr 30, 2019 7:22:10 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for the KB-Post. Can you share some screenshots showing what you see on the SAN Switches? And may I ask, how exactly are both the SAN Switches and the SAN itself monitored right now in PRTG (which sensors and protocols)?

best regards.

Created on Apr 29, 2019 12:05:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Torsten,

Thanks for your reply on this.

At the moment only the SAN switches are monitored with SNMPv1 enabled and Trap level 3 for warning. In PRTG we used auto-discovery to look up any monitors it finds automatically and so we are monitoring Ping and Port Traffic (SNMP Traffic Sensor) The storage infrastructure is also monitored via SNMP but only with SNMP and HTTPS sensors, as we don't need more monitoring in that case.

Here's a screenshot of the information I can see in GUI of the SAN switch for the error details I want to try to monitor. --screenshot removed-- Name and mail adress are required to access the image due to company policies...

Best regards

Created on Apr 29, 2019 12:40:30 PM

Last change on Apr 30, 2019 7:20:56 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Lukas,

I removed the screenshot, so that it's not public. If you monitor those switches with SNMP Traffic Sensors, it should be possible to monitor the errors on the ports with the Additional Channels in the Settings of those Traffic Sensors. Can you check that out please and enable those?

best regards.

Created on Apr 30, 2019 7:22:10 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Torsten,

Sorry for my late response. I now enabled these Additional Channels to monitor the error count as soon as an error shows up. A colleague also told me that thats enough for him so he will look up the detail for the error as it shows up. So the issue is solved.

Thank you very much

Created on May 7, 2019 11:14:01 AM

Last change on May 7, 2019 1:01:59 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.