What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Map Permissions for user

Votes:

Hello, I've recently discovered that the user who creates a map in the PRTG webinterface is not able to see it after he has done creating it. In the access rights, there is "none" set in the users group. After I've set the access rights to that users group manually, he's able to see/edit it in the GUI. Is there a way the user can create a map and can view it by himself directly?

Best regards

maps prtg web-interface

Created on Apr 29, 2019 9:42:30 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello Moritz,

Thank you very much for your request.

What type of user account are we speaking of (local PRTG user, AD user account)? What access rights does this user have?

Best, Sebastian

Created on Apr 29, 2019 11:39:45 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,
it's an AD user. The user is a read/write user. The group he's member of is also an AD group and has the following rights:

• Administrative Rights: No
  • New User Type: Read/Write User
  • Allowed Sensors Users may always create all sensor types
  • Ticket System Access: Members my not use the Ticket System

Best regards

Created on Apr 29, 2019 1:10:25 PM

Last change on Apr 29, 2019 1:39:07 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Moritz,

Thank you very much for your clarification.

Unfortunately, I am unable to recreate the behavior. Once a AD PRTG user account creates a PRTG map, it's able to edit the map. The security context is set to this user account. The map can be closed and appears on the available maps list aftewards.
What version of PRTG are you currently running?

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Apr 30, 2019 10:48:23 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

We're currently using PRTG Network Monitor 19.2.49.2018 x64. Just to clarify: The AD user is not able to see the map after he has created it. But the map shows up in the Map-List if I use an admin-account (Also AD).

Best regards

Created on Apr 30, 2019 11:42:48 AM

Votes:

Hello Moritz,

Once a user creates a map, the map is both accessible and visible for the user account that created the map.
At the moment, other user accounts that are members of the same user group as the user, that created the map, are not able to see the map before a PRTG Admin account changes the access rights of this map. We want to change this behavior in near future and raised an internal task with our developers for that.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on May 1, 2019 4:39:46 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

we are facing the same issue. We are running PRTG Version 19.2.50.2842. This happend if the user change the map permissions to "Allow public access" and then back to "No public access". After this change the user that creates the Map can not view or change the Map anymore.

With an administrative account i can see the Map and the user is still shown in the Securtity Context field.

is that a bug or wanted behavior?

Best Regards

Peer

Created on Sep 13, 2019 8:38:11 AM

Votes:

Hello Peer,

Please update PRTG to the latest stable version 19.3.51.2830. It should fix the behavior as it was originally caused by a bug.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 16, 2019 5:40:15 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.