What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I delay monitoring for WMI sensors on a server reboot?

Votes:

Is there anyway to delay WMI sensors (or any sensor for that matter) after a node comes online? We have servers with PING as the master dependency. PING usually responds before many services do. Is there a way to delay WMI and Windows services checks to allow the particular server to fully start?

dependency service wmi

Created on Sep 1, 2010 4:48:06 PM

Last change on Sep 3, 2010 7:41:54 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PTF PingDelayedUp

This can be accomplished with Custom Sensor PTF PingDelayedUp. This ping sensor stays down for the given number of seconds before returning an "Ok" state.

ip-address|hostname  -id-sensorID -d=delay [-w=timeout] [-l=size] [-i=TTL]

-id=sensorID       The sensorID or other unique identifier.
-d=delay           The delay in seconds before returning an "Ok" state
-w=timeout         Optional timeout in miliseconds to wait for a reply, default = 500
-l=size            Optional send buffer size, default = 32 bytes
-i=TTL             Optional Time To Live, default = 64     

Note: The sensorID parameter has to be an unique value as it is used to store the last time the host was down. As of PRTG V7.3.2 the %sensorid placeholder is available, so -id=%sensorid will do the trick.

The Custom Sensor can be downloaded from this page.

Important Notices

• When using this sensor, you must set the delay to a greater value than the scanning interval. When in a next scan the host is up but the delay has not expired, the sensor will stay down and report "Ok delayed":
ScanHost Up?Delay expired?Sensor stateMessage
1stnonoDownICMP error xxx
2ndyesnoDownOk delayed
3rdyesyesUpOk xx msec
  • Using many EXE sensors can lead to performance problems: Major delays may occur. So, if you experience load problems, please reduce the number of EXE sensors. Generally, we recommend to not use more than 100 EXE sensors in a setup.

Created on Sep 2, 2010 12:10:14 PM

Last change on Sep 6, 2010 8:05:57 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid in the moment there is no option available in PRTG to configure such a "delay" for WMI-Sensors. All we can suggest is, if you have triggers on these WMI-Sensors to set them up with long latencies (to avoid unnecessary email-alarms). Or you could also make one WMI Sensor the master for the device instead of the Ping Sensor. This way you would still have one red WMI Sensor, but the other WMI Sensors should be paused then. And as soon as the target is able to respond to WMI Requests all WMI Sensors should start working.

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 1, 2010 5:20:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PTF PingDelayedUp

This can be accomplished with Custom Sensor PTF PingDelayedUp. This ping sensor stays down for the given number of seconds before returning an "Ok" state.

ip-address|hostname  -id-sensorID -d=delay [-w=timeout] [-l=size] [-i=TTL]

-id=sensorID       The sensorID or other unique identifier.
-d=delay           The delay in seconds before returning an "Ok" state
-w=timeout         Optional timeout in miliseconds to wait for a reply, default = 500
-l=size            Optional send buffer size, default = 32 bytes
-i=TTL             Optional Time To Live, default = 64     

Note: The sensorID parameter has to be an unique value as it is used to store the last time the host was down. As of PRTG V7.3.2 the %sensorid placeholder is available, so -id=%sensorid will do the trick.

The Custom Sensor can be downloaded from this page.

Important Notices

• When using this sensor, you must set the delay to a greater value than the scanning interval. When in a next scan the host is up but the delay has not expired, the sensor will stay down and report "Ok delayed":
ScanHost Up?Delay expired?Sensor stateMessage
1stnonoDownICMP error xxx
2ndyesnoDownOk delayed
3rdyesyesUpOk xx msec
  • Using many EXE sensors can lead to performance problems: Major delays may occur. So, if you experience load problems, please reduce the number of EXE sensors. Generally, we recommend to not use more than 100 EXE sensors in a setup.

Created on Sep 2, 2010 12:10:14 PM

Last change on Sep 6, 2010 8:05:57 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks, I will give the custom sensor from Gerard a try on a few nodes.

Created on Sep 2, 2010 2:22:22 PM

Votes:

Same question from me, but different task:

I have a lot of custom PowerShell sonsors, which overload Probe at startup at same time, is there any way to start this (My) sensors with different delays for each sensor after Probe starts?

Thank you!

Created on Jan 20, 2019 12:51:57 PM

Votes:

Vasiliy, I'm afraid there are no built-in options to handle this with Powershell sensors either. Sorry.

Created on Jan 21, 2019 10:22:07 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.