What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I monitor the Storage Spaces event log?

Votes:

I'd like monitor the following event log of my Windows Server 2019 box running Storage Spaces, but I can't see how to access it with either of the standard event log sensors:

Microsoft-Windows-StorageSpaces-Driver/Operational %SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-StorageSpaces-Driver%4Operational.evtx

Can you tell me how this can be done?

eventlog prtg windows

Created on May 8, 2019 6:29:01 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Ferd,

Right, the WMI and API sensors simply cannot get the data as it is not provided by the regarding sources. There is a custom script that should be able to achieve this.

Check also the comments in this thread, there is also being discussed how to retrieve events from a particular evtx and how to identify the necessary parameters.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 9, 2019 10:53:15 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well, thanks but not really helpful.

Here's the real answer:

1. Create a key under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog" called the name of the event log to monitor, in my example call it "Microsoft-Windows-StorageSpaces-Driver/Operational"

2. Use the PRTG WMI Eventlog sensor and it will show up

Hopefully this helps out anyone else looking to do the same.

Created on May 9, 2019 1:00:58 PM

Votes:

Awesome, Ferd, you're the best.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 9, 2019 1:51:15 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 9, 2019 1:51:23 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.