What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping Sensor Originating IP Address (Ping Multiple WAN Routes?)

Votes:

I'm using a ping sensor to monitor our SIP endpoint from our local LAN.

We have multiple WAN links, and i would like to have a sensor that monitors the endpoint across each of the wan link, to be able to determine if an issue is with the SIP endpoint, or the carrier getting us there across the WAN.

We have a sonicwall sitting between PRTG and handles the load balancing across the WAN links.

I think the only way to create a static route that will force the traffic across the specific interface is by having different originating IP addresses for the sensor.

Is it possible if i assign more LAN IPs to the PRTG server, can i specify each of the 3 sensors to use a specific IP address? Then create static routes, so for example:

• Ping Sensor WAN 1 - 192.168.1.10 > Sonicwall Default Route X1
  • Ping Sensor WAN 2 - 192.168.1.11 > Sonicwall Default Route X2
  • Ping Sensor WAN 3 - 192.168.1.12 > Sonicwall Default Route X3

ping router wan-links

Created on May 11, 2019 12:48:01 PM

Last change on May 13, 2019 4:49:25 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

It is theoretically possible, to use the "Ping" sensor together with static routes. However this only works if the routes have been defined under Windows, because PRTG can not specify these routes. PRTG is also depending on Window's "Ping API", that means that PRTG does not decide through which interface an ICMP-request is sent.
If you have specified your 3 three routes, you have to create a "device" for each interface you want to monitor. Please note that each interface needs it's own IP address in order for the previously defined routes to work.

Best regards.

Created on May 13, 2019 12:00:13 PM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

The first option is unfortunately not possible because you can not install three Probes on one Core Server.
For option two, we can not give you any assurance that it will work. Please remember that PRTG is dependent on routing in Windows.

Created on May 14, 2019 6:03:48 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.