What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dynamic limits in custom sensor

Votes:

Hi,

Is it possible to make my custom sensors Warning/Error limit to refresh after every scan of the sensor? To be exact: I wrote a custom EXEXML sensor for Disk Free monitoring - which sets the Warning limit to 10GB for a 100GB volume and sets 50GB warning limit for a 2TB volume.

As far as i know, LimitMinWarning etc elements "will be considered only on the first sensor scan" https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/custom_sensors

For initial scan, it is OK for me - but for example, if I extend my 100GB volume to 2TB, I want PRTG to automatically adjust the Warning limit to 50GB (as it is returned in the XML channel setting).

Is it possible? Thank you in advance,

Daniel

custom-sensor exexml prtg

Created on May 22, 2019 2:09:58 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

Unfortunately, it is only possible to adjust the sensor channel limits manually after the initial sensor creation.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on May 23, 2019 3:15:57 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Well, you can use the API to set channel limits.

You could considder altering the channel limits when the channel value has changed using a 'change' trigger that fires a custom notification, or make this a part of your custom sensor.

Example API call would be:

/api/setobjectproperty.htm?id=2123&subtype=channel&subid=0&name=limitmaxerror&value=25

See also setting-limits-for-sensor-in-bulk-or-via-api (topic 67764)

Sensors | Multi Channel Sensors | Tools | Notifications

Kind regards,

[[http://prtgtoolsfamily.com]] PRTG Tools Family

Created on May 25, 2019 11:53:57 AM

Votes:

Thank you very much for the advice, I will give it a try.

Regards, Daniel

Created on May 30, 2019 8:12:49 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.