What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

how to read json from local file

Votes:

I have a series of json files located on a file server (in my case on the local PRTG server). I would like to process that json information

I see a few solutions, but i'm wondering if there is a better one.

I could set up a webserver, publish the files and than use the REST Custom BETA sensor. A template will convert the json into channels.

I could create a powershell script (EXE/Script Advanced sensor) that reads the json, processes it and recreate XML/Json to store the information in PRTG

Is there a possibility to read the json from disk and process it through a template?

thanks Bert van Hove

json powershell prtg

Created on May 27, 2019 12:26:05 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there is no sensor that is able to process the JSON-files directly from the disk. This might be only possible via your suggested PowerShell solution.

However there are simple to setup webservers out there, for example MAMP:
https://www.mamp.info/en/

It's free and easy to install/configure.

Best regards.

Created on May 28, 2019 11:43:10 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the same problem. How do You solved it? I have 1 Json file by device. Each device is about 20 sensors. Thanks. It could bé an INCREDIBLE native sensor for PRTG

Created on Dec 12, 2023 7:18:13 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.