What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Factory

Votes:

I am new, so bear with me. I have been instructed on how to start using Sensor Factory, and I am liking it. However, I am having a slight issue. I am talking to a UPS, and imported it's MiBs. The oidlib works, mostly. So I am wanting to take certain parts of a couple of different sensors, and put them on 1x Sensor, this is where sensor factory comes in nicely. However, one of the oidlib, when I pull it into factory, is returning a "2", but in the sensor, it is showing batterynormal. It seems that the sensor converts the "2" to show "batteryNormal", but for some reason, sensor factory only pulls over the "2". Support pointed me towards SNMP custom string lookup sensor, but I think this is the wrong path as the original sensor is already converting it for me. The other channels come in fine, but they are returning actual values (percent, minutes, etc) so they are not doing any kind of look up.

prtg sensor-factory snmp-sensor ups-mib

Created on May 27, 2019 5:01:39 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Oz,

Thank you for your Post.

Please note that it looks like the original Sensor is using a lookup file to convert the received value in a more readable value. In your case the value "2" is converted into the string "batteryNormal". This conversion is done in the corresponding channel of the original Sensor. Therefore, the converted value is not displayed in the Factory Sensor and the Factory Sensor cannot use lookup files.

For more detailed information, please follow these links:

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on May 28, 2019 10:50:11 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Moritz,

Thank you. That's what I was kind of figuring was happening. I was just making sure I wasn't missing something. I am trying to get the data I want to show people into 2x different sensors, so that I can put these sensors on the map. Basically Readings and Identity. Under my device, there are 14 (13 working) sensors that I want to pick and choose what to show on the map. There are some sensors that have 6 readings under them, but I don't want to show all of the info.

Do you have any recommendations? I initially was going to create 2x Sensor Factories for this and display those on the Map, but without this lookup, that kind of negates that idea.

Oz.

Created on May 28, 2019 11:31:33 AM

Last change on May 29, 2019 8:33:17 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Oz,

The Factory Sensor is the only one that can combine different Sensor Channels in one Sensor. Therefore, you need the Factory Sensor. However, regarding which Map object you want to use (Graph or Gauges) PRTG provides options to hide certain channels.
The Channel setting "Graph Rendering > Hide from graphs" hides the specific channel in all graphs (also in maps). On the other hand, if you want to use Gauges, the option "Table Rendering > Hide from tables" hides the Gauge of this Channel. Please note that the Channel Gauge also disappear in the Sensor itself and is only listed in the Channel list on the "Overview" tab of the Sensor.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on May 29, 2019 5:33:01 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.