What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New Desktop Application - Licens Limitations

Votes:

Hey.

I have already had a lot of correspondance with Atle Hadland th Regional Manager at Nordic departmen, we have tryid to figure somthing out becouse of our situation and in the end he told me to take it here.

the problem is that at the moment our setup looks like this:

Network 1 (closed):

• VM - 1 /Core / sensors: min 5 to 15 max
  • VM - 2 / Probe / sensors: min 5 to 10 max
  • VM - 3 / Probe / sensors: min 5 to 10 max

Network 2 (closed):

• VM - 1 / Core / sensors: min 5 to 15 max

Network 3 (closed):

Network 4 (closed):

It is like this, all the networks does not have connection to each other. My workstation have connection to all networks via 4 different VPN connections. All the network cant have access to the internet because this is production servers with sensitive data. That’s why it needs to be 4 cores that have there own Probe server, but probably we will be using 100 to 120 sensors in total, that’s why I think it’s a little expensive to buy this because it will cost me 500 sensors x 4 just for using 100 sensors in total.

I can not make my workstation to the core server becouse we can't rely on my workstation to not brake or shut down.

so the problem is that you have made a limitation on the new Desktop application so that we can only have 2 freeware on it.

I can understand that there are people that "CHEAT" with this, but that is not the case here. this is just putting a stick in our wheels.

It will be a big cost for us if we are forced to buy a min of 2 cores with 500 sensors and we are only using 100 in total atm and have done it the last 1½ year.

can we do somthing about this limitation on the desktop application.

Kind Regards

Anders.

desktop-application license limitations prtg

Created on Jun 11, 2019 9:05:47 AM

Last change on Jun 11, 2019 9:11:20 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Reading through your requirements the only way I see is to deploy another server in the network where your workstation and also allow access to these four servers / locations via VPN. This will then only require one PRTG 500 license.

The limitation of the Desktop App to only allow two Freeware installations cannot be disabled for the reasons you mentioned in your post.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 11, 2019 12:31:58 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is not possible, because it will lead to a possible backdoor.

the only workstation/Machine that can have access to all networks is mine, because my workstation is protected with bitlocker and Duo security and AD domain.

we need to think of all our closed networks are like separate island's, we can't have any other connection then my workstation because it will make a new possible place for hackers to make connection to the other networks.

So that's why we are in need of some kind of other solution, that's why am asking to change the Licens Limitations to maby 5 or 6 free and then pay, or make a new kind of Licens that will cover this kind of solution.

Created on Jun 12, 2019 7:13:12 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid that we do not plan to change this. If you do not want to adjust the routing in your network, opening a browser with multiple tabs, one for each PRTG server would also work.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 12, 2019 7:34:34 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.