What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do you setup an alarm when monitoring a file timestamp? I would like to alarm if a backup file h

Votes:

We are running the trial version of your software (We are planning to buy, just want to work out some bugs in our system first.) I'm trying to monitor some backup files with the file timestamp. I'm able to see the file, and it brings back the date last modified. I would like to setup an alarm that goes off if the file has not been modified after X number of days.

alarm monitor timestamp

Created on Sep 2, 2010 7:58:37 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Corey,

do you use a Filesensor (from the description it sounds like you would). Then it should be no problem, and you would have two options:

• Add a Threshold Trigger to the sensor, and enter an appropriate threshold value in seconds (you would have to calculate from the X number of days into seconds). This will cause a notification, but not change the status of the sensor (i.e. sensor will continue to be green).
  • Use an Error Limit. Please go to the "Channels"-Tab of the Sensor, select the Channel "Last Modified" and enable the Error/Warning-Limits. There please enter also a value in seconds. This will change the sensor state into red or yellow. You could use a State Trigger then upon this.

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 3, 2010 1:02:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

I figured it out. The time is measured in seconds. With some simple math days*hours*min*sec I was able to get the number I was looking for.

Created on Sep 3, 2010 12:59:11 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Corey,

do you use a Filesensor (from the description it sounds like you would). Then it should be no problem, and you would have two options:

• Add a Threshold Trigger to the sensor, and enter an appropriate threshold value in seconds (you would have to calculate from the X number of days into seconds). This will cause a notification, but not change the status of the sensor (i.e. sensor will continue to be green).
  • Use an Error Limit. Please go to the "Channels"-Tab of the Sensor, select the Channel "Last Modified" and enable the Error/Warning-Limits. There please enter also a value in seconds. This will change the sensor state into red or yellow. You could use a State Trigger then upon this.

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 3, 2010 1:02:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i tryed this concept for a weekly image backup -File but the biggest amount of seconds is 99 999 and this is only a bit more then a day (= 86400). Is there a solution (newer version? or another way) Thanks

Created on Jul 4, 2011 10:00:04 AM

Votes:

Rene, which version of PRTG are you using? It should be possible to enter more than 99,999s into the triggers Value-field even though not everything might be displayed.

Created on Jul 4, 2011 1:16:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.