What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I customize detection for "Unusual" sensor status in PRTG?

Votes:

Hi,

I want to disable the messages that display that traffic for some reason is low. For example, we have a server that is using a lot of network bandwidth, we get an alert that it is high. Great.

When it returns to normal we get loads of pointless warnings that traffic is unusually low for this period as it was busy before. Alert when something is high, but please can I get rid of these stupid alerts for when things are running ok!

Thanks

alerts prtg sensor unusual

Created on Sep 2, 2010 11:18:29 PM

Last change on Sep 3, 2010 7:58:07 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

we have customers with very different needs. There are many options for customization in order for PRTG to suit your needs.

By default, an unusual detection is enabled. This changes a sensor's status to "unusual" in case there are values measured that are untypical, compared to the historic measurements.

To change the behavior of the unusual detection, or to switch it off completely, please choose Setup | System Administration | Monitoring from the main menu in PRTG's web interface. In the Unusual Detection section, please change settings to your liking.

Note: In PRTG versions previous to 14.x.11 (i.e., version numbers where the last number is lower than 11) you can find this setting under Setup | System Administration | System & Website.

Created on Sep 3, 2010 8:09:45 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Apr 30, 2014 3:25:11 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello! Many of my network interface sensors are in Unusual state now, but i can't understant how i can see compare line? I want to compare how the traffic WAS, and how the traffic NOW, and what is the difference during measurement time period in one chart\table, is it possible?

Created on Sep 11, 2018 9:59:37 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I am afraid that settings for "Unusual detection" are not that flexible.

This is how "Unusual detection" works:

For example, you got a warning that traffic is unusually high on Wednesday at 9:30 AM. It means that PRTG calculates "1 hour interval average", based on the data obtained on last four Wednesdays, between 9:00 and 10:00 AM, and if traffic is higher than that average, sensor will show "unusual" warning.

It is possible to change the settings for "Unusual detection" (only with predefined values, on the system level). To achieve that, please click on "Setup -> System Administration -> Monitoring" and change the settings in the "Unusual Detection" section. There you can also turn off this kind of alerting (please choose "Never" under "Show Unusual When").

Beside that, you can enable/disable it on device/group/probe/root level under "Settings -> Advanced Network Analysis".

If you want to detect e.g. higher traffic volume than normally or compare it with some value, you can either set channel limits, or you can add volume trigger in the sensor notifications.

For more information about the "Unusual detection", please see this page: Unusal Detection

Created on Sep 13, 2018 8:48:13 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear @Isidora Jeremic,

it would really great if someone has the ability to "Acknoledge" the unusual State in the 2023 New UI .

Because currently I have no glue how to tell PRTG that the "unusual" Detection is ok , taken your advice from 2018 you have only the Option in "disable" or "enable" the "U" Funktion .

For me that will not work ( with many Sensors like we encouter 20000+ that Funktion will not be scalable ) , in my TestLab I have now 2 and dont know how to integrate that in the Monitoring Schema. If I have no control on a "U" State or how to config a "U" detection the Funktion is not very usable in the daily usage .

At least not for Monitoring IT Services or Server.

Created on Mar 26, 2023 2:06:38 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.