What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependency problem

Votes:

In the PRTG we want to set up dependencies, but we don't know it properly. For example, we have 2 firewalls, fw1 and fw1 behind fw2. We would like to set if fw1 goes down, all sensors of fw2 will be paused. And. If only fw2 goes down, the ping sensor will go down and the other sensors will be paused. This setting will not be achieved. How should it be set?

dependency prtg sensor

Created on Jun 21, 2019 9:50:34 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Gabor,

At this time we cannot do double dependencies on a single object. FW2 can only be dependent on one item. So it will only be dependent on FW1, or its own ping sensor. But not both.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jun 24, 2019 4:43:38 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Thank you Benjamin for your quick reply. Is there no other method for setting? In another topic I read that it can be solved with object groups. Thanks Gabor

Created on Jun 27, 2019 8:47:16 AM

Votes:

Gabor,

Can you link me the article you are referencing to? I'd like to make sure I'm not giving you outdated information.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jun 27, 2019 8:37:37 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Benjamin, I can't find it now. But I have tested it now and it works. I made a fw2 group, put the fw2 device in. I set the fw2 group to depend on fw1 (ping). On fw2 device I set the ping as a master object. Thanks Gabor

Created on Jun 28, 2019 10:12:31 AM

Votes:

Gabor,

Yes, if you use groups and devices it will work like that. I was under the impression you were only using devices.

Glad to hear you go it working!

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jun 28, 2019 7:24:54 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.