What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Autodiscover to only target Windows Client systems

Votes:

Hi,

I am setting up PRTG for our company, and doing it the first time - there is a lot to do. My company would like to monitor the windows client systems, both towers and laptops. Is there a way for autodiscover to target only client systems, and only server systems? I dont want both because on the server side i will need one set of sensors, while on the client side I will need only ping, disk space...

Thanks,

autodiscovery clients windows

Created on Jun 25, 2019 12:46:47 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

First you need to create different device templates. Autodiscovery has no options though to apply templates only to certain types of devices, unless for example your servers are all using a certain ip range and also clients use a dedicated ip range, then you can use auto-disovery groups that only scan the respective ip range.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jun 26, 2019 7:09:32 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

thank you for your answer, I was actually going through the device template koncept yesterday. But there are so little sensors to choose from in this moment. I still have to adjust the wmi side, getting some errors, than I need to run autodiscovery on some machine where there were many senors discovered and hopefully from this machine I can create a "perfect" template.

Cheers,

Created on Jun 26, 2019 7:22:50 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.