What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Need smtp sensor that does not force SSL

Votes:

I need a simple imap sensor that allows imap authentication that does NOT use SSL

Used to be one if I recall correctly

Please, suggesting changing the mail server is NOT what I am looking for, the sensor test will be across the private subnet so ssl is not wanted and according to the error, that is why the included sensor fails.

On the parent, I have tried using mail server host name, mail server IP's (public and private), parent mail server host name, etc etc etc....all of which allow me access to the mail server imap service on public and private sides. On the sensor I have tried setting the ip, as well as host names etc, but it always fails due to no ssl/tls

To suggest the port I am targeting is not open is incorrect as clients use IMAP on the appropriate port without issue, I just wanted to monitor the service to make sure it doesn't hang.

I have a temporary work around in place, using the smtp sensor and changing the appropriate port, but unsure if that is acceptable. I have not yet taken the time to try stopping the imap service to see if I get the correct results from that as timing is not currently a good time for that test.

Thanks for any suggestions

imapsensor mailsensor smtpsensor

Created on Jun 26, 2019 11:39:32 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

If you use the port number 143, the connection will not be encrypted. Ensure that the option Use Transport-Level Security if available is activated in the sensor.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 27, 2019 9:37:49 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I had originally done that but it still failed.

I did not give up since I feel PRTG is about the best there is out there, so I blew away the device an handful more times, and I happened to notice there was a reboot needed from a security update for dot net, so I rebooted, recreated the device and added the mail sensors back 1 at a time and they all seem to function exactly as they should.

My guess is it was because of needing the reboot.

Created on Jun 28, 2019 8:29:35 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Perfect, great to hear that the restart resolved the issue with the SMTP sensors! And also thanks a lot for your kind words, we appreciate that a lot! :)

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 1, 2019 7:45:02 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.