What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I troubleshoot erratic push notification behavior in the PRTG app for desktop or PRTG apps?

Votes:

I have multiple PRTG instances installed and usually manage and view them with the PRTG app for desktop and PRTG mobile apps. However, when I receive a push notification from my PRTG app for desktop or PRTG mobile apps and want to view the object that triggered the push notification, PRTG often takes me to the wrong instance. What can I do?

android ios prtg-app prtg-app-for-desktop prtg-for-android prtg-for-ios prtg-mobile-app prtg-multiboard push-notifications troubleshooting

Created on Jul 4, 2019 10:09:46 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Aug 29, 2023 9:45:32 AM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 23

Troubleshooting erratic behavior of push notifications

As of now, the PRTG app for desktop and PRTG apps for iOS or Android rely on a unique identifier for each PRTG core server installation that is connected to these PRTG apps. This unique identifier is generated from the Windows MachineGUID of the PRTG core server system.

Cloned systems with identical identifiers

If you have several of these hosts that are “cloned” virtual machines (or “cloned” systems), you might end up with hosts that have the same MachineGUID and therefore the same "unique" identifier for PRTG. In this case, the PRTG app for desktop and the PRTG apps are not able to determine which PRTG core server installation is the “right” instance that triggered the push notification and might take you to the “wrong” server.

Tips for troubleshooting

The solution to the issue is to sysprep the image used for deploying new hosts. This way, the MachineGUID of every server becomes unique.

If you face this issue, do the following:

1. Check if the MachineGUIDs of your separate PRTG core server installations are identical. To do so, run the PowerShell command below:
    Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\
  2. If the MachineGUIDs are the same, you need to do a Sysprep of your cloned Windows image to generalize it before installing PRTG. During this process, a new MachineGUID is created so that the PRTG instance installed on this image has a “really” unique identifier.

Note: It might also be possible to change the MachineGUID via other means after PRTG has already been installed, although this is not recommended. After you have set up a new host (that you sysprepped as well), you can migrate PRTG to this new host. For more information, see How can I move or migrate my PRTG installation to a different system or server?

Finally, always keep in mind that PRTG is not the only software that might rely on MachineGUIDs. As a general rule, always sysprep new hosts before deployment. For more information, see the links below.

More

Created on Jul 4, 2019 10:20:54 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Aug 29, 2023 9:46:16 AM by  Jacqueline Conforti [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.