What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitoring a temp sensor

Votes:

hi

we have a temp sensor which we would like to monitor with PRTG.

I have downloaded the trail and installed but i am struggling to setup the monitoring of our temp sensor.

The temp sensor has the following webpage which when browsing to the page via IE returns the following XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
-<Sensatronics hb="1916308" id="EA7H5G0T155">
-<Group id="1">
-<Probe id="1">
<Value>23.1</Value>
</Probe>
-<Probe id="2">
<Value>30.6</Value>
</Probe>
-<Probe id="3">
<Value>-99.9</Value>
</Probe>
-<Probe id="4">
<Value>-99.9</Value>
</Probe>
</Group>
</Sensatronics>

how can i create a sensor within prtg so that it can monitor the probes 1 and 2 values. i have look at the XML/rest sensor documentation but cannot figure out what i should be doing.

please help

prtg rest xml

Created on Jul 11, 2019 1:30:38 PM

Last change on Jul 11, 2019 1:34:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Jason,

there are two options here:

1) Use a custom script which reads the web content (can be done with Powershell) and parses the script (Powershell allows to cast the result to an XML so you can access the content as an XML object) and creates a new XML output which adheres to the PRTG API.

2) As alternative, you can employ the Rest Custom sensor. While it allows to use a custom channel definition, the sensor also has a channel-discovery mode for automatic result searches. In order to use this sensor, please first create a device object in PRTG with the web server address as device address.

Created on Jul 11, 2019 2:52:54 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.