What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Some WMI sensors on Server 2016 do not work

Votes:

We are having issues with WMI sensors on some but not all of our 2016 servers. We have no issues on any of our 2008 and 2012 servers and as I say it works fine on a few 2016 servers.

On the servers where it is not working it will remain grey for a period of time stating "This sensor has not received any data since startup". It will then go to "Connection could not be established (800706BA: The RPC server is unavailable) (code: PE015)."

I have been working through the steps described in https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1043-my-wmi-sensors-don-t-work-what-can-i-do but so far none of them have helped.

I have tried disabling the firewall on the affected servers and used a full domain admin account but still the same problem remains. We've increased the timeout for all WMI sensors but it has not made any difference.

I have downloaded the WMI tester for PRTG. When running this on our PRTG server and connecting to the affected servers it returns valid results indicating that WMI monitoring should be working fine.

I am unsure of what to try next to try and resolve this so any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks Steve

2016 prtg wmi

Created on Jul 22, 2019 10:52:31 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The error message indicates that the WMI depending services are not running on the remote server, that's why PRTG can't connect to the RPC Server. Please check if the Windows Management Instrumentation service is running on the servers.

Best regards.

Created on Jul 22, 2019 2:44:28 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I can confirm that the Windows Management Instrumentation service is running on all of the affected servers. As I said, we have run the WMI tester for PRTG from our PRTG server and this runs with no errors when testing WMI connections.

Thanks Steve

Created on Jul 23, 2019 7:33:05 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please forward us a Support Bundle including the system log files for analysis. This can be done via the "Contact Support" ribbon in the lower right corner of the web interface. Please enter the following case number when submitting the Bundle:
PAE1225536

Best regards.

Created on Jul 23, 2019 7:42:27 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.