What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Background Color for Graphs

Votes:

Hi,

in former KB questions there was described a way th change the background color of png graph export. At the moment the background is black (#000) and therefore not usable.

I know the option to add the background color to the url, but I want to change the background color for all exports.

The system settings from prtg 8 does not exist anymore. Or I didn't figured it out.

Thanks for an advice.

Mario Stuck

background graph png

Created on Jul 30, 2019 8:30:26 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello Mario,

In "Setup | Account Settings | My Account" you can "Color Mode" to "Dark", this will apply then to exported graphs as well.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 30, 2019 11:42:23 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

the switch to darks will not change the background of exported png, it is still black background. So useless when copied to an email or similar usage.

By the way I don't like the dark theme. I only want to change the background of exported png (the normal background of the png is also white in the web ui) or - best way - let the background transparent.

Best regards

Mario

Created on Jul 30, 2019 12:00:48 PM

Votes:

Hi Mario,

Sorry, my bad, my understanding was somehow you wanted to have a nice black background. I'm afraid passing along the desired bg-color with the url is the only way then as there is no global parameter to adjust it.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 30, 2019 12:15:22 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Also on a side-note after going over it again, while the graph may look like having a black background, it should be in fact transparent, which you might see when opening it in another tool.

Created on Jul 30, 2019 12:20:39 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

unfortunately this is not transparent (doublechecked it with 2 tools).

In version 8 of PRTG there was an option for a general setting.

There should be an option for exporting with transparent background.

Thanks in advance

Mario

Created on Jul 30, 2019 12:29:37 PM

Votes:

Hi Mario,

Could you post/link one of those PNGs here?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 30, 2019 12:39:11 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

https://cloud.it-direkt.de/s/TDy62WxqcSGb26L

It is just saved from the browser

Created on Jul 30, 2019 12:47:19 PM

Votes:

Strange. It seems to depend on the browser. Saving from chrome it becomes a black background, savin from edge, it keeps transparent.

OK. So I'll investigate this. Sorry to bother you.

Created on Jul 30, 2019 12:53:23 PM

Votes:

My finding as well. See here: https://imgur.com/a/D06SeNh

The background is in fact transparent, the black background is only something the browser seems to be doing by default when encountering a png with transparent background for some reason.

Created on Jul 30, 2019 12:57:33 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 30, 2019 12:58:14 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.