What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

EXE-Notifications not sending when sensor goes down

Votes:

Hello, I have the problem, that my EXE-Notifications are not sending when a sensor goes down.

I configured a notification which executes a Powershell-Script to call a URL to send an SMS. The Script takes two parameters (recipients and message) and pastes them into the URL.

If I execute the Script manually it works every time. Triggered from the notification template it only triggers when the sensor goes back up (I have two templates, one for sensor going down and one for sensor going up again), I switched the templates in the notification triggers, it still only sends a sms when a sensor comes back up again (but ofc with the message from the other template) The templates are basicly the same just one different word in the message.

According to the notification-logs all the messages are sent, but I'm only getting the ones when sensors come up again (but they work perfectly every time)

If I test it with a test-notification within the notification template menu it works perfectly, even if i simulate an error on an sensor it works fine, but if a sensor really goes down it doesn't send a message.

My guess was that the notification isn't triggered right, but according to the logs it was triggered and sent just like the going-up messages (which work perfectly)

I have PRTG Network Monitor 19.2.50.2842 x64"

notifications powershell prtg

Created on Aug 6, 2019 7:21:56 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Could you provide me with a screenshot of the notification triggers? Is the notification directly configured, inherited or does a library handle the notifications for it? Screenshots can be posted via

{{url.to.your/image.jpg|title}}

Thanks!

Created on Aug 6, 2019 8:58:01 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Notification Trigger

For most sensors I have it inherited from root, a few groups have their own triggers configured. For troubleshooting I configured it directly at the parent device of the sensor. I didn't try directly at the sensor because we have above 1000 sensors and configuring all of the seperatly isn't an option.

What I forgot to write in my original post is that if I restart the core all the notifications work for a short period of time (under one hour I would guess, so restarting isn't a solution either).

Created on Aug 6, 2019 9:19:01 AM

Votes:

You only need to post once, as the posts are moderated and not immediately visible. I see that you're using two different notification templates for down/up. Have you compared them to make sure they're configured alike? Or is one a clone of the other? You could also use the up notification for the down state (i.e. there's no need to set up separate notifications for each state).

Created on Aug 6, 2019 9:27:11 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry, posted multiple times cause I get a blank site with "Internal Server Error" and didn't knew if it worked.

Yes I have to different templates but like I wrote in the original post they are clones (just one word different in the message UP / DOWN). I deleted them, created them new, copied them, wrote them both new, switched them in the trigger, only used UnAlert. Nothing solved the problem, always getting the message when getting UP and never when going down.

Created on Aug 6, 2019 9:32:08 AM

Votes:

Oh, that's interesting - does this happen when replying as well as creating a post? What browser are you using? Is it still happening? We've fixed some quirks on the new KB backend that may have caused this.

I've sent you a mail regarding the matter, I'd like to continue this via tickets as we require further screenshots, and some logs properly.

Created on Aug 7, 2019 10:58:34 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.