What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Where does PRTG store passwords used by remote probes?

Votes:

We are using PRTG to monitor several windows servers in remote locations. The servers are not part of a windows domain. I'm evaluating the security implications of using remote probes for each server instead of one centralized probe on the prtg host.

What I'd like to know: - When entering Windows credentials to be used by a remote probe, are those credentials saved only on the remote probe system and not on the prtg host? - If the answer to the previous question is yes: Can the credentials be somehow retrieved in clear text by the prtg host?

Thanks for your help,

Adrian

prtg remote-probe windows

Created on Aug 12, 2019 5:25:59 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Adrian,

All passwords are stored encrypted in the PRTG configuration file. This file is transmitted to the Remote Probes, where the configuration is cached. The passwords can only retrieved in clear text by using a script/PRTG API and using the corresponding placeholders

Furthermore, regarding the plan of a "centralized probe". Please be aware that we only recommend 2500 Sensors per Probe.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Aug 12, 2019 8:51:37 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz,

thanks for your quick reply. So, to make sure I understand this correctly: If my main PRTG server is compromised, then all passwords stored for all remote probes are also compromised?

Thanks,

Adrian

Created on Aug 12, 2019 6:53:15 PM

Votes:

Hi Adrian,

yes that's correct. All passwords are stored on the PRTG Core Server and the Core Server distributes them along with the configuration to all Remote Probes.

Created on Aug 13, 2019 11:13:08 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz,

Can you please confirm that Core Server distributes ONLY passwords needed by the remote probe and NOT all the passwords of all the remote probes to each remote probe ? Thanks, F.

Created on Feb 4, 2023 9:46:15 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

only the part of the PRTG configuration is shared with the Probe which effects the Probe (the corresponding part of the device tree).

Created on Feb 6, 2023 8:16:00 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.