What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Server is not able to ping devices

Votes:

Hi Folks,

we have a strange "Problem".

Our PRTG Server is virtualised on vmware (Win2016, 16gb, 4cores). formaly we had a 2008r2 server and copied the configuration.

From time to time the prtg server is not able to ping remote devices and sets the sensor on red. Other servers in the same vlan, on the same virtual host can ping and transfer data to effected hosts without problems.

It is not every time the same sensor/target, when we reboot the server the problem is gone.

Has anybody an similar issue?

regards, sebastian

ping prtg sensor

Created on Aug 15, 2019 8:00:20 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Sebastian,

Please try to ping your hosts via Windows CMD from your PRTG Server. If you can ping them while the Ping Sensor isn't able to, i will contact you per mail to send me your support bundle, so I can take a closer look.
If you can't ping them there either, i assume there are some wrong Server or Networks settings?

Created on Aug 15, 2019 12:48:41 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Timo,

no it is defenatly a Windows Problem. When the error occurs you can't ping the target from windows.

Does everyone knows something about limits? Maybe to less open ports on Windows side?

Regards, Sebastian

Created on Aug 29, 2019 11:04:26 AM

Votes:

Good day, we have just installed PRTG on a new Windows Server and are having this same problem. Interested in hearing what everyone finds. We have tracked the packets from the PRTG server to the remote device and back, they are definitely dyeing on the PRTG Server when they return. It even affects CMD pings.

The only way around it is to change the physical IP of the server or wait.

Thanks, Tom

Created on Jun 11, 2021 1:47:09 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.