What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to remove channels without deleting a sensor

Votes:

Hi there,

We're using a custom exexml sensor that dynamically returns a handful of channels. One of the channels is no longer needed and not returning any data (the sensor report it as "no data"). Our custom sensor is not returning that channel in the XML anymore. How do I remove that channel from the sensor?

The only way I've found to do it is to the delete the sensor entirely and recreate it. But unfortunately that causes us to lose the history data for ALL channels in that sensor.

channels custom-channel custom-sensor sensor

Created on Aug 20, 2019 7:22:30 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm very much afraid to tell you that it's indeed not possible to delete channels after the sensor creation. So the only solution to this, is deleting the sensor and add it anew.

I kindly ask for your understanding in this matter.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Aug 21, 2019 5:33:16 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there perhaps any way to keep the history then of the sensor when I delete it?

Created on Aug 21, 2019 12:10:46 PM

Votes:

Hi,

I'm very much afraid there is no way to keep the history of the sensor.

I kindly ask for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Aug 22, 2019 12:19:17 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

While I agree that it really sucks that you cannot add/remove channels from an existing Windows Performance Monitor sensor, there is a somewhat useful workaround.

For each of the channels you no longer want, go to the sensor overview, then down to the channel and choose to edit its settings. From there, change both the "Graph Rendering" and "Table Rendering" sections from "Show" to "Hide".

The channel(s) will no longer clutter up your graphs (or the tables below the graphs; e.g the "Live Data" or "history" views of a sensor).

Created on Jun 21, 2020 2:38:58 PM

Votes:

Is it still not possible to delete a channel?

Created on May 11, 2021 10:53:40 AM

Votes:

Hello Matthias,

I'm afraid that it's still not possible to remove channels. The workaround explained by grangerats stays the only solution to "delete" them.

Regards.

Created on May 11, 2021 12:00:09 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hiding them in the graph view really isn't helpful. The channels will still trigger and alert. What I'm looking to do is keep a sensor which is needed but disable a channel triggering which is definitely not needed / relevant.

Created on Feb 4, 2023 2:19:39 PM

Votes:

At the moment you can only hide the channel, and to avoid it from triggering you can remove the limits on that channel, or the lookup file depending on the type of value that the channel receives.

Created on Feb 8, 2023 6:20:00 AM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.