What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to install prtg in vmware esxi 5.5,6.0,6.5

Votes:

I surfed the internet for how to install PRTG server monitoring tool in VMware server for the different versions 5.5/6.0/6.5. Please help me how to install. i can access servers through Putty only. Help me out to resolve ASAP.

Thanks, Yogeesh

prtg putty vmware-esxi

Created on Aug 30, 2019 6:19:05 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi Yogeesh,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to install PRTG directly on an ESX server. This is not possible because PRTG can only be installed on a Windows operating system. You can find the necessary informationhere

Kind regards,
Marijan Horsky, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 30, 2019 8:08:58 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ride is configured in the physical server. i need to monitor network and RAID in those servers. What is the solution for this? If i install in VM will it send notification about RAID/network failure? for linux/ubuntu/centOS VM - PRTG will support?

Created on Aug 30, 2019 8:44:53 AM

Votes:

Hi Yogeesh,

After you have installed PRTG you're able to monitor various information of your devices e.g. memory, disk space, CPU and a lot more via 'SNMP, WMI, SSH etc.. Please take a look at the getting started guide.
Furthermore you can find a list of all available sensor here. You'll get a manual for a sensor by clicking on a desired sensor.

Kind regards,
Marijan Horsky, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 30, 2019 9:13:49 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, i will check and getback to you. Thanks for sharing valuable information.

Thanks, Yogeesh B S

Created on Aug 30, 2019 11:40:26 AM

Votes:

Hi, Where i want to install there is no Domain, they have 3 different ESXI versions. If i install in 1 ESXI vm, am i able to monitor all other Physical servers and RAID configured in those servers? And will i get notification if RAID goes down in any one of the physical server?

Created on Sep 2, 2019 7:04:58 AM

Last change on Sep 2, 2019 7:04:58 AM

Votes:

Hi Yogeesh,

If you want to monitor your ESXi Server, I recommend to use these Sensors:

1. VMware Host Hardware Status (SOAP) Sensor |
  2. VMware Host Performance (SOAP) Sensor

Please check if these Sensors are sufficient.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Sep 2, 2019 9:51:35 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I installed PRTG and added sensors and its working fine and i am able to get notification. But in my network vlan is configured. i have to add another subnet (2 other ESXi and windows server 2008). I can ping from one nerwork to another. Do i need to add manually or install PRTG in another subnet?

For the above information what you gave is very precious for me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Thanks, Yogeesh B S

Created on Sep 3, 2019 6:45:05 PM

Votes:

Hi Yogeesh,

Thank you for the great feedback :)

If you want to monitor devices in another vlan, I recommend to install a Remote Probe in the corresponding vlan. If this is no option, you need to make sure that no firewall blocks the monitoring traffic (you need to allow the ports used e.g. 161 for SNMP).

However, if you install a Remote Probe in the vlan, you only have to ensure that the Probe is able to connect to the Core Server via port 23560.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on Sep 4, 2019 9:58:16 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.