What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Are SNMP Traffic and RMON sensors redundant?

Votes:

I have an Aruba switch that has both sensors configured for it. Are they redundant? It seems like a waste of sensor count if they are not both necessary.

I'm assuming that I should run RMON if the device is capable and Traffic if not.

Am I wright or am I wrong?

Thanks!

aruba prtg snmp

Created on Sep 4, 2019 8:03:05 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi BoomSchtick,

Thank you for the post.

Which certain Sensors do you use?

Created on Sep 5, 2019 10:13:35 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

In the Add Sensor wizard, they are labeled as SNMP Traffic and SNMP RMON

Created on Sep 5, 2019 2:47:41 PM

Votes:

Hi BoomSchtick,

Please note that the SNMP RMON Sensor displays the number of packets per second. The SNMP Traffic Sensor displays the bandwidth in some channels and the number of packets per second.
Furthermore, the RMON Sensor has more detailed channels (e.g. the "CRC Errors (#/s)" or "Packets 256 - 511 Bytes (#/s)"). Besides that please note that not every device supports the SNMP RMON Sensor.

Created on Sep 6, 2019 7:22:18 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.