What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using PRTG for family IoT devices

Votes:

Hello, has anyone here set up sensors for management and monitoring of family devices. I have been testing out other vendors and solutions. I would like to be able to create specific rules based on web browsing habits, specific IM protocols, and granular application alerts. Does PRTG have the capability to provide deep packet inspection while given the administrator the ability to created rules/alerts based on specific devices and scenarios?

Thank you!

deep-packet-inspection family-monitoring iot-devices packet-sniffing

Created on Sep 9, 2019 4:58:34 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Todd,

Thank you very much for your question.

Can you please elaborate what precisely you mean with "family IoT device"? While deep packet inspection is not directly possible, the built-in Packet Sniffer Sensor might be a suitable alternative.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 10, 2019 10:59:40 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sebastian. For family IoT device, I meant iPhones, Androids, tablets, computers, watches, etc. I tried the Packet Sniffer, but I would like to be able to create granular rules and/or alerts for specific situations. I.E. a child uses his/her tablet and tries to browse an adult URL....

Regards,

Todd

Created on Sep 10, 2019 12:32:46 PM

Votes:

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for the clarification.

PRTG supports monitoring via Packet Sniffing, Flow and similar techniques but PRTG is not an "Internet audit/monitoring solution" as a dedicated Proxy server or Firewall would be. PRTG does also only monitor/store information and can't allow or block URL's or applications like Steam. Additionally, PRTG will only go down to Layer 4 and identify protocols and destinations within traffic, but will not identify URL's and applications.

Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a more satisfactory answer in this case.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 11, 2019 4:27:38 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sebastian,

Thank you very much for the reply! I appreciate all of your input.

Regards,

Todd

Created on Sep 11, 2019 10:52:10 AM

Votes:

Welcome.

Created on Sep 11, 2019 6:31:42 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.