What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Jobs In Print Queue

Votes:

I have a Win Server 2019 print server with 40+ printers. From time to time there are jobs that get stuck in the print queue that need to be manually deleted. I would like to monitor the jobs in the print queue for each printer and be alerted when there are jobs stuck.

I currently have the Windows Print Queue sensor installed for each printer but I can't seem to figure out how to get the sensor to show an error state when the print queue is greater than 0 for 1 minute.

alerts printer queue

Created on Sep 10, 2019 2:30:25 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Jack,

Thank you very much for your question.

Please check the sensor's Notification Triggers tab and define a Threshold Trigger.
Something such as should do the trick:
When Jobs (#) channel is Above 1 for at least 60 seconds, perform %notification%

Please note that the greater the print jobs, the longer job will actually take, so I would probably recommend a value higher than 300 seconds instead.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 11, 2019 6:39:28 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have what you suggested setup and I do receive push and email notifications when there are jobs stuck in the queue. However, the sensor does not go into an error state. Because we use a map to monitor, it would be nice if the sensor would go into an error state alerting everyone with a visual cue. There is obviously something that I am missing.

Created on Sep 11, 2019 5:08:05 PM

Votes:

Hello Jack,

You are right, but I don't know if a so called channel limit is really helpful here. I believe it would bring up much more confusion than being really helpful here.

The Windows Print Queue Sensor has a primary channel that shows the number of jobs in the queue. If you apply a channel limit on this channel, that changes the sensor state to Down as soon as the number of jobs in the queue is higher than x, the sensor will be down with every large print job.
There is no possibility to change the state only after a certain period of time.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 12, 2019 12:40:40 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.