What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote probe install fails "A LWF & WFP driver installation tool has stopped working"

Votes:

Hi,

I just submitted a support case to Paessler for this, but thought I would post on here too.

I just attempted to install a remote probe (version 19.2.50.2842) on a fully patched Hyper-V server 2016 (OS Version 10.0.14393). The installation progresses until the point when it tries to install Npcap, then shows a Windows error "A LWF & WFP driver installation tool has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program". There is a single button on this error box labelled "close the program". Screenshot https://i.imgur.com/sjTaAwf.png

Pressing the button begins an endless loop where the error reappears. Looking at the program files, it appears PRTG probe has installed, and the Admin Tool can be launched and is responsive, but switching to the 'service stop/start' tab shows "Service status: not installed/unknown".

Also, there are no logs in C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG ...\Logs\Probe

This is non-domain joined standalone server. I am logging on as a local admin. Can the npcap driver be installed manually?

Thanks in advance.

hyper-v npcap-loopback-adapter remote-probe

Created on Sep 11, 2019 11:10:52 AM

Last change on Oct 21, 2019 8:18:28 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

5 Replies

Votes:

The issue stems from the installer being unable to remove Winpcap or installing NPcap (or both). Please uninstall Winpcap manually and install Winpcap manually via their installer. Sorry for the troubles!

Created on Sep 11, 2019 2:00:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Perfect answer, thanks! I manually uninstalled wpcap and npcap, rebooted, and the remote probe installed successfully.

Thanks.

Created on Sep 11, 2019 3:04:26 PM

Votes:

Awesome, glad it worked! Happy monitoring! :)

PRTGapi | Feature Requests | SNMP Issues

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 12, 2019 7:18:11 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

A recent note: It looks like Lansweeper is utilizing the same npcap driver and having Lansweeper and PRTG, both, on the same machine seems to be causing the PRTG upgrade installer to crash.

This is most likely because it is trying to uninstall the npcap driver while Lansweeper is still using it. If you have these two systems coexisting on your server, be aware that you will want to shut down Lansweeper before doing an upgrade.

After shutting down Lansweeper, running the installer, and rebooting... everything was working again after that.

Version: PRTG setup 20.2.59.1689 (Stable) Lansweeper v. 8.0.130.17

Created on Jun 9, 2020 10:28:41 PM

Votes:

"A recent note: It looks like Lansweeper is utilizing the same npcap driver and having Lansweeper and PRTG, both, on the same machine seems to be causing the PRTG upgrade installer to crash.

This is most likely because it is trying to uninstall the npcap driver while Lansweeper is still using it. If you have these two systems coexisting on your server, be aware that you will want to shut down Lansweeper before doing an upgrade.

After shutting down Lansweeper, running the installer, and rebooting... everything was working again after that.

Version: PRTG setup 20.2.59.1689 (Stable) Lansweeper v. 8.0.130.17"//

This was my issue as well; had a server that had its CPU spiking at 99%. I checked to see what was using all the processing time and it was showing the LWF & WFP service and PRTG probe were causing most of it, and I found both the PRTG and LANSweeper remote probes installed and running. When I killed the PRTG and LANSweeper services and reinstalled the NPCap over the top of the existing installation I was able to restart both services without a reboot.

Created on Feb 11, 2021 5:29:15 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.