What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to use the Sensor Factory from sensors that have status fields with lookup?

Votes:

I am implementing the monitoring of an electric generator using sensors that read a MODBUS logic controller through a gateway. I have been able to count on sensors that indicate generator states, (1, 2, 3 ... n) and I associated them with lookup values. For example, I have a sensor that returns the status of the selector key, which can be in "Automatic" or "Manual - On" or "Manual - Off" And another sensor that indicates if it is in "Stopped" state or "Running" or others. The state that interests me is when the first is in "Automatic" and the second in "Running" that corresponds to when the equipment is running because there was a power outage. But I am not sure that the Factory allows handling combinations of states. Can be done? With what type of sensor?

lookups modbus sensor-factory states

Created on Sep 24, 2019 11:10:30 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Luis Aguilar Sindes,

Thank you for the post.

The Factory Sensor has the status() function. This means that the state of the corresponding Sensor is translated in a value. In this way, you can make more complex formulas which uses the state of the required Sensors.
Internally, the status() function returns the downtime channel of the sensor in hundreds of percent (10,000 = 100%).

• true corresponds to a value of 10,000, which is a Down status.
  • false corresponds to a value of 0, which is an Up status.

Another alternative would be the "Business Process Sensor". The Business Process sensor is a powerful and very flexible sensor that allows you to give a summary status of whole business processes while monitoring several process components.
This means that you can create your very own and individual sensor with channels based on data from other sensors ("source sensors") that are specific to your network.

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Support Team

Created on Sep 24, 2019 2:02:20 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 24, 2019 2:02:35 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.