What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I get parent groups parent group in PRTG API?

Votes:

So I have quite the hierarchy of groups containing over 2500 sensors in total. Through the API I have managed to get info regarding each of these sensors but the only thing I'm missing is that I'd like to know the name of a sensors parent's parent. Right now I have i.e. a sensor of type ping. The ping sensor's parent is a group of a specific name which in this case is the name of a school. In that group there are other sensors specific to that school as well. So on average there are maybe a 5-10 sensors per school and maybe 20-30 schools per brand (said parent group). Now I would like to know how I get the name of the parent group of a sensors parent group. Below is kind of an example of what I'm trying to achieve in which case I'm trying to get the name of the School Brand A group.

[] - School Brand A (group)

[] - School A (group)

[] - Sensor 1 (sensor) [] - Sensor 2 (sensor) [] - School B (group)

[] - Sensor 1 (sensor) [] - Sensor 2 (sensor)

Thank you in advance

group groups hierarchy prtg sensor

Created on Sep 30, 2019 7:38:55 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,
I'm afraid, it's not possible to get the name of a sensors parent's parent by using a single API call. You would need to use 2 calls for this:
1. API call: Get the ID of the sensors parent
2. API call: Use this ID to get the name of its parent.
You'll find all available API calls in your PRTG Web interface at "Setup > PRTG API".

Kind Regards,
Timo Dambach
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Sep 30, 2019 9:50:12 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay thank you for the help!

Created on Oct 2, 2019 10:55:01 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.