What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Automated adding group and devices using API (Getting group ID)

Votes:

Hi all,

Is it possible to retrieve "group id" only from JSON right after I used POST API to duplicate and add group into PRTG? As I would like to add sub group into the group and after that add device by GET API.

api groups management prtg

Created on Oct 2, 2019 9:44:56 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi yychai97,

You can receive the group ID from a certain group via an API call filtered with the group name (which you define during the clone process). I recommend to use an API call like this one:

/api/table.json?content=groups&output=json&columns=objid,group,name&filter_name=*Group Name*
(you need to replace "*Group Name*)

Please note that you can create such a API call via the "PRTG HTTP API: XML Table Query Builder". This query builder is located under "Setup > PRTG API > Live Data"

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Paessler Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 2, 2019 10:51:31 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 2, 2019 10:52:06 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.