What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Converting JSON/XML string into alerting value!

Votes:

Good morning all,

I appreciate this has been asked many many times, but I am really struggling to work through the excellent answers to find what it is I need to do. Essentially, we have a number of Custom REST sensors we'd like to deploy but face the age old issue that the most important result we need to monitor is a string. As such, I understand that I may need to convert this into a value for the purpose of monitoring for a change to said value. However, I am struggling with the creation of the custom rest template as well as how I then invoke the lookup file too I need to create.

My JSON looks like this:-

{"status":"UP","hazelcastHealthCheck":{"status":"UP","members":["10.18.16.193 (local: false)","10.18.16.194 (local: true)"]},"premcalcHealthCheck":{"status":"UP","url":"http://wl-osbsys-middle.group.net:8011/LifeProtPremCalc/proxy/LifeProtPremCalc?wsdl"},"diskSpace":{"status":"UP","total":1063256064,"free":877674496,"threshold":10485760},"db":{"status":"UP","olaLiveDataSource":{"status":"UP","database":"Microsoft SQL Server","hello":1},"secureOnlineAccessDataSource":{"status":"UP","database":"Microsoft SQL Server","hello":1},"climateDataSource":{"status":"UP","database":"Oracle","hello":1}},"hystrix":{"status":"UP"}}

We want to monitor select the node of say "premcalcHealthCheck" and then use the status result to monitor.

I have played around with some custom template formatting and so far it's been unseccesful. I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me how we can capture that string of 'UP' (or DOWN as the alternative) and then parse that as a numerical value to then alert if it goes from say '0' to '1' as a result.

Thank you in advance anyone who is able to help me and my inferior brain!!!!

json rest xml

Created on Oct 11, 2019 8:04:59 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Barty,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please forward me the following sreenshots to "[email protected]":
- Screenshot of the sensor's "Overview" tab
- Screenshot of the sensor's "Settings" tab

Please use the subject "PAE1260747 within the mail.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Oct 15, 2019 6:09:29 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.